Thursday, August 29, 2013

Bretagne-a french week on the coast

These summer holidays I spent a week in a beautiful area in France with my family- the Bretagne. Placed in the western-north, without any industries and much agriculture, France shows its rural face with much beautiful nature, beaches and cliffs. Another thing that was quiet impressing were the small towns along the roads, all with a little church and old stone houses. But also the big cities had much old and traditional french charme full with "crêperies" or "boulangeries".

Our mornings began with making tea and setting the table out in the garden with a view to the sea. It was amazing! What was quiet disappointing was the very small and stinky house. Because we had searched so late for cheap and good houses for rent, we didn't get a good one. The first days were a bit difficuilt specially for my mum but we still enjoyed having breakfast and dinner outside the house.
I have to admit, Im not the biggest fan of baguette; once in while its okay but not evry day. After the third day I began eating my usual breakfast: muesli with soja milk.
What my mum loved much about the bakery was the atmosphere there and wonderful and new things to select from, like "pommé" thats tasting like the german "Apfelstrudel" or of course croissants. In the supermarkt we bought some french jam which were extremely sweet but in my case, if your not eating it every day, pretty tasty.

By car, we explored much of the south-western oart of the Bretagne and always mixed our days by starting to visit some interesting spots or cities in the region and than heading to our favorite beach we had discovered on the third day. Its name was "Pointe de la Torche", near the town "Penmarc" with its great lighthouse.
The area around the beach had its own surfing/beachy charme I enjoyed a lot. In front of the dunes were some cafés and restaurants where you could eat cheaply and have some salads, crêpes, really tasty and cheap (1,50€) café au lait or fish. Next to these cafés was placed a surf shop with a surf school included. After we watched all the surfers in the water, my sister and me also were in the mood to try out a course. Surprisingly, it was pretty cheap: just 35€ for 2 hours with everything like the neo or boards included.
Because of the Atlantic, the water is really cold and most of the people who got into the water wear a wetsuit. Nevertheless, my sister and me always went into it because the waves were so much fun!
The surf course was so funny but also exhausting too. Our teacher was so nice and I already learnt a lot. I even stood on the board! I hope so much I'll get th chance again to surf in the next time.
my sister and me carrying the boards
                                                                       
surfer on the beach

Pointe du Raz
My family and me also visited some great nature spot like "Cap du chêvre", near "Crozon". Its pretty in the west of the Bretagne. There, you had a wonderful view over the mountains, cliffs and the sea. On a trail along the cap we walked and saw some great places and could enjoy the fresh wind.
Another spot that was similar but much more popular (but not nicer) was "Pointe du Raz". The spot is made up pretty touristic but its really amazing watching to the lighthouse on a small island and th big cliffs.




Dournenez

 In our little town, where we lived was called "Plozévet" and luckily we could njoy th international folk festival 5 days long. Peopl from all over the world cam here to presnt their traditional music and dance.

woman dancing from Guadeloupe


low tide in the morning

a rich & nice town called "Bénodet"

 Some other great cities wich are worth it to visit are for example Quimper, Bénodet, Dournenez or Audierne.
I was surprised of the Bretagne and had a really great time there!







No comments:

Post a Comment